In this recipe, you’ll learn how to make teriyaki sauce from scratch. It’s made with 3 commonly used Japanese seasonings, (cooking) sake, soy sauce and mirin. You can find all these ingredients at your local supermarket in the Asian section. Once you have these ingredients you can make many delicious and authentic Japanese recipes.
Chicken teriyaki (serves 1)
– 1/2 chicken breast
– 1 cup jasmine rice, cooked
– 1/2 carrot, sliced and cooked
– 4 broccoli florets, cooked
– Kewpie mayonnaise (Japanese mayo)
– 7 spice chilli pepper (find at your local Japanese or Korean supermarket)
– 1 serve of Teriyaki sauce
1. Cook the chicken breast on a grill on medium heat until no longer pink.
2. Cook the vegetables according to your taste. I boiled mine separately until tender.
3. Prepare the Teriyaki Sauce (recipe below).
4. When the chicken is cooked, slice it. Use a small bowl to press rice into it. Flip it over on a plate for a little rice dome. Place the chicken next to the rice. Place the vegetables and onion next to the rice and chicken. Spoon the teriyaki sauce over the chicken. Sprinkle the chilli pepper and drizzle some mayo. Enjoy!
5. Alternatively, chuck it all in a bowl, no fuss!
Teriyaki Sauce (1 serve)
– 1/2 tbs cooking sake
– 1/2 tbs soy sauce
– 1 tbs mirin
– 1/4 tsp minced garlic
– pinch of sugar
(Optional: 1/4 brown onion, thinly sliced + 1 tsp oil)
1. In a non-stick pan heat the garlic (optional: oil and onion) until fragrant. Combine the sauces and sugar and add to the saucepan medium-high heat. Let the sauce simmer and reduce. Once it thickens take it off the heat to prevent burning.